1. Former Chicago Bears assistant Tim Spencer interviewed for the open running backs coach spot at Tennessee. Spencer also spent several years as an assistant at Ohio State, his alma mater.
2. Other remaining candidates at Tennessee are current coaches - search could be wrapped up soon.
3. South Carolina’s Jadeveon Clowney on the cover of a spring football preview issue of Sports Illustrated (and what does that say when spring football gets an SI cover?). The famous hit at the Outback Bowl was “a last breath of football sanity for Clowney.”
4. 15,000 tickets already gone for spring game at Kentucky – “that’s abnormal.”
5. With Keith Marshall nursing a hamstring injury, Georgia will open spring practice with just one healthy recruited scholarship tailback on the roster, Todd Gurley.
6. Alabama’s new $9 million weight room is 21,000 square feet on the bottom floor, 16,000 square feet on the second floor. It was built in five months.
7. Alabama strength coach Scott Cochran: “It’s the biggest, baddest weight room in the country. There is no question about that.”
8. Spring practice at Alabama starts on March 16 – toe injuries likely to limit cornerback John Fulton and wide receiver Kevin Norwood.
9. Mississippi State quarterback Dak Prescott likley to miss spring drills – had surgery on a toe this week.
10. We updated our story yesterday with a report about Mississippi State assistant Tim Brewster leaving for Florida State. MSU officials finally notified this morning.
11. With both starting safeties gone, how good will Florida’s secondary be in 2013?
12. Former Auburn player Kodi Burns is now a grad assistant at the school but he has higher aspirations. ”I want to be an offensive coordinator one of these days here pretty quick, and soon after be a head coach. You want to run your own program.”
13. Lawyer for dismissed Alabama player D.J. Pettway releases statement: ”DJ is committed to putting this incident behind him and to proving to all of those fans, coaches, and teammates that were disappointed by this incident that it is not a reflection of the man he is.”
NFL Scouting Combine
14. Why Tyrann Mathieu may have helped himself as much as any other prospect and why Dee Milliner is the most NFL-ready of the cornerbacks.
15. This mock draft has Milliner going fifth to the Lions, with former LSU defensive end Barkevious Mingo going next to the Cleveland Browns.
16. Former Texas A&M wide receiver Ryan Swope runs a 4.34 40-yard dash and the reaction is ”straight-line speed/acceleration are only average”?
17. Mel Kiper’s post-combine rankings of SEC players.
18. Ole Miss freshman forward Anthony Perez will have MRI today after injuring his knee last night.
19. Tennessee leading scorer Jordan McRae on the steady demeanor of coach Cuonzo Martin: “You guys see our practices, the way Coach Martin is, you would think we hadn’t won a game yet this year.” Dale Ellis’ jersey will be retired at Tennessee.
20. Missouri at South Carolina tonight – must-win game for the Tigers? Phil Pressey: “If we don’t beat them then that’s where the problems start coming in to play.”
21. Frank Martin seems hesitant to put a timeline on rebuilding at South Carolina: “If I told you two years, and two years from now, we’re still not quite there, then you’re going to ask me that question, ‘I thought you said two years from now.’ ”
22. ESPN draft analyst Chad Ford says four Kentucky players could go in the first round. ”Willie Cauley-Stein is the diamond in the rough.”
23. Kentucky’s 1996 team finally gets championship rings but what about Rick Pitino and the coaches? John Calipari: “I don’t know what they did with that. But I do know (player) Scott Padgett, who takes every free lunch he can get, called and said, ‘Am I getting a ring?’ ” (He didn’t.)
24. After getting torched for 62 points by Oregon, former USC defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin told his son and head coach Lane Kiffin he was leaving at the end of the year.
25. Former Miami booster Nevin Shapiro’s tab at the school - NCAA estimates he provided $170,000 in impermissible benefits. Ohio State A.D. on NCAA – “bureaucratic monster.”
26. Ever wonder why you always see those “big heads” at college basketball games? How it all got started.
27. Just how bad are these new Adidas basketball uniforms?