October 18th, 2013 12:30 PM║ Posted By: Mike Mitchell ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Tags: Alabama, Auburn, College Football, College Sports, Frankie Sullivan, Jeff Scott, LSU, South Carolina
1. Should Auburn consider slowing down the tempo against Texas A&M Saturday?
2. Gus Malzahn on the role Auburn freshman quarterback Jeremy Johnson will play: ”You will see his role and it’ll make a lot more sense as we move forward.”
3. Texas A&M won last year 63-21. ”That game feels like ancient history now.”
4. Ole Miss will likely be without leading rusher Jeff Scott against LSU. Sophomores Jaylen Walton and I’Tavius Mathers will get the carries.
5. Seven of the last 11 games in the LSU-Ole Miss series have been decided by a touchdown or less.
6. LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger says his knee is fine but “I just got a deep shin bruise.”
7. South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier on border states and recruits: “It has helped us not to lose South Carolina athletes to Tennessee the way it probably happened prior to ‘04 or ’05, somewhere in there.”
10. Facing a run-first Arkansas offense means Alabama will get more opportunities to play out of its base 3-4 defense.
11. Before his first-ever college start, Missouri freshman quarterback Maty Mauk gets a text message from former Tiger quarterback Chase Daniel.
13. Georgia coach Mark Richt on whether conditioning could help prevent injuries: “With the ACL, I don’t think there’s anything to do with conditioning.”
14. Georgia has won the games but playing at Vanderbilt hasn’t been easy in recent years.
15. Vanderbilt wide receiver Jordan Matthews just 103 receiving yards away from the setting the all-time SEC mark.
16. Does the second half of the schedule get easier for Mississippi State? First six opponents have a 29-10 record. Last six are a combined 23-14.
17. Former Auburn basketball player Varez Ward is accused of point-shaving. Potential witnesses include current Auburn player Chris Denson and former players Kenny Gabriel and Frankie Sullivan.
18. Big Blue Madness tonight.
19. Kentucky coach John Calipari on Auburn coach Tony Barbee: ”He’s really excited about his team.”
20. Florida coach Billy Donovan is the dean of SEC coaches – starting his 18th year in Gainesville -
21. Alabama point guard Trevor Releford at SEC Media Days: ”We’re really motivated as a team. We don’t want to play in the NIT this year.”
22. Mississippi State forward Gavin Ware: “I wanted to be Dwight Howard as a younger player, but then quickly realized I can’t jump like that.”
23. Will Tennessee be able to solve zone defenses this season?
24. Tennessee coach Cuonzo Martin: “We’ve got competitive practices; we’ve got healthy bodies. That helps.”
25. South Carolina coach Frank Martin: “I’m not the big grizzly bear everybody thinks I am.”
26. Arkansas coach Mike Anderson: “The Fastest 40 Minutes will get faster this year.”
27. Vanderbilt will have competition at the power forward position.
28. LSU forward Johnny O’Bryant: “We think we can be No. 1. Being picked fourth is nice, but we’re going to keep trying to get better.”
29. Rule changes coming to college basketball - including a change to the always controversial block/charge call.
30. Oregon students sell “We Want Bama” t-shirts.
32. Early signing period for football?
33. Ticket prices likely going up at LSU.
34. Arkansas AD Jeff Long on possible conflicts with his role as chairman of College Football Playoff selection committee: “I have a very strong staff and they’ll be able to pick up anything that I may have to step away from.”
35. Misstep for Condi? “You don’t have a single league where everyone plays off against each other, like in professional leagues..” (Big 12 does)
36. Cecil Hurt on playoff committee: “What the Committee could do….is create a big mess when circumstances are right.”
37. The Missouri-Kansas rivalry lives on…with a license plate.
— DC (@CambroLiving) October 18, 2013
|Post Comments »||One Comment|