First, a simple point: Projecting the NFL draft in September seems a wee bit silly. Many college teams have yet to play four games and exactly none of the professional teams have played more than three contests. There are two months of college ball to be played. There have been no combines or workouts (college or personal). No early entrants have declared themselves eligible. No one can even guess at the NFL draft order at this point, which is kind of a biggie since team needs usually dictate team selections.
All that said, SI.com has posted its 2014 NFL Mock Draft 2.0 today. And on that list you’ll find the names of 11 current SEC stars. What you won’t find is an SEC player — cough, cough, Jadeveon Clowney, cough, cough — in the top spot. According to SI.com’s Chris Burke, the first pick next April will be quarterback Teddy Bridgewater of Louisville. Burke believes he’ll go to the quarterback-deficient Jacksonville Jaguars.
As for the SEC’ers on the list…
2. Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina to the Oakland Raiders
6. Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M to the St. Louis Rams (via trade)
8. Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama to the Arizona Cardinals
10. Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M to the Philadelphia Eagles
11. CJ Mosley, LB, Alabama to the New York Giants
15. Dominique Easley, DT, Florida to the St. Louis Rams
16. Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee to the Tennessee Titans
17. Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M to the Cleveland Browns (via trade)
19. Ha’Sean Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama to the Green Bay Packers
23. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt to the Kansas City Chiefs
32. Adrian Hubbard, LB, Alabama to the Denver Broncos
Johnny Football to the Eagles to play in Chip Kelly’s hurry-up, huh? Interesting.