Speaking of ESPN, did anyone read the NY Times piece yesterday on who is college football's most dominant player? Wow.
1. So what exactly is Johnny Manziel worth?
2. A concern at A&M: “We’ve got a lot of unknowns on defense.”
3. “Highly possible” Jeremy Hill may be suspended for the TCU game. Running back Alfred Blue is ready to fill the void.
4. Counting his time as an assistant at Florida State, Georgia coach Mark Richt is 11-0 coaching against Clemson.
5. Georgia offensive coordinator Mike Bobo says it’s OK to punt. ”There’s nothing wrong with playing field position.”
6. Arkansas coach Bret Bielema thinks Travis Swanson is the best center in college football and why Brandon Allen is one of five first-year quarterbacks you need to know.
7. Both Florida quarterback Jeff Driskel and his counterpart at Toledo have been drafted by Major League Baseball.
8. Consensus take on Tennessee’s season is somewhere between 5–7 and 7-5. This writer sees a 6-6 season in Knoxville.
9. Kentucky defensive coordinator D.J. Durkin has a relationship with coach Mark Stoops that extends back more than 15 years. ”It was just a relationship that started to build early and it was one that I could see lasting for a long time.”
10. Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee is looking for some wide receivers to step up: “I’d say there are three or four guys right now that I would have expectations and hope they have a big year.” (Lashlee video here).
11. Athlon names 10 teams that need to lower expectations for the coming year. Four of them from the SEC – including Vanderbilt: “Another nine-win season is highly unlikely.”
12. But Commodores ranked just ninth in the SEC in turnover margin last season – what could they do if they improved that stat?
13. How a Drew Breese-to-Miami decision could have altered SEC history.
Practice/Injury/Depth Chart Reports
14. Kentucky safety Ashely Lowery will play in the opener but could still be punished over a DUI case.
15. Kentucky’s depth chart says Maxwell Smith or Jalen Whitlow at quarterback
16. South Carolina receiver Bruce Ellington limited in practice Sunday night. Projected Gamecocks depth chart.
19. Arkansas could have as many as 20 players making their debut for the Razorbacks against Louisiana-Lafayette.
20. Ten true freshmen for Ole Miss could see action Thursday night against Vanderbilt.
21. Auburn senior defensive end Craig Sanders is taking the bulk of the reps in replace of the inured Dee Ford.
22. Urban Meyer asked how he would fare in a fight against other coaches. ”You darn right I would hold my own.”
23. Detroit columnist: “I’ll miss the BCS. I liked it.”
24. A four-team playoff begins next season and ”the bigger they expand, the more they could threaten the meaning of regular-season games in college football.”
25. Will Jordan Clarkson be Phil Pressey’s replacement as point guard at Missouri?
26. Why is Florida getting an afternoon kickoff for its opener for the fourth time in six years?
27. Louisville A.D. Tom Jurich: “If it wasn’t for ESPN, we would be a fraction of what we are today.”
28. Keith Olbermann returns to ESPN tonight – just as the controversy over the network’s relationship with the NFL and “Frontline” heats up.
29. The best games to watch this year in college football.
30, Jadeveon Clowney in high sch0ol – running the 4×100 relay.
31. Want to watch a 35o-pound marlin jump in to a boat? Of course, you do.