Tennessee 58 – Vanderbilt 57. Video Highlights
1. Tennessee squandered an 14-point first-half lead, once again missed multiple free throws in the closing minute, yet still managed to survive a pair of closing-seconds shots by Vanderbilt.
2. Walk-on point guard Brandon Lopez — filling in for an injured Trae Golden — helped rescue UT.
3. He has 34 points and 29 rebounds in his last two games and the Volunteers will go only as far Jarnell Stokes can carry them.
4. Sophomore point guard Kedren Johnson once chose Vandy over Tennessee and last night his big second half almost led the Dores past the Vols.
5. Kevin Stallings said VU’s plan for a final shot “worked out perfectly with the exception of the ball going in the basket.”
Kentucky 87 – Ole Miss 74. Video Highlights
1. With a so-so record and a heading into the home of the nation’s #16 team, Kentucky picked a perfect night to play its best game.
2. Freshman Nerlens Noel’s school-record 12 blocked shots led the Cats to a signature win that will surely help their NCAA Tournament stock.
3. The Rebels’ Murphy Holloway played against UK’s all-everything Anthony Davis last year. But his take on Noel: “Best shot blocker I’ve played against. Just look at the stats, man. Twelve!”
4. Morgan Freeman and Shepard Smith showed up to see an Ole Miss team off to its best start ever… but instead they saw a hot-shooting Kentucky team hand them their first conference loss.
5. UM’s nine-game win streak was snapped, Marshall Henderson was cold from the floor (yet still scored 21), but the worse news might be a pair of injuries by the Rebs’ top two reserves.
Bonus: John Calipari tried to help Andy Kennedy’s rush to get a new arena. “He’s 17-2. Would you please build the guy a new building? That locker room we’re in, I’m looking for squirrels.”